Need help setting up my solar power

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Need help setting up my solar power

Postby littlehawk on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:28 pm

I recently purchased a FM 80. I have some solar panels totaling 600 watts ( 6 at 100 watts each)

I buit a 600 sf cabin well insulated and currently have a woodstove but I want to run a Enviro Mini pellet stove I just bought used.

The pellet stove runs on 110-120v, max current 4.1 amps. I won't use the electronic igniter (juice-piggy) and just light it up with propane torch.

I only plan to run a few LED lights at night , my internet feed and a laptop ( which has 2-3 hours of battery life when unplugged) so overall it's practically nothing as far as energy comsumptin goes. My fridge/freezer runs on propane. Stove is propane, non-electric.

I am in Colorado where we get plenty of sun and I'm at 9000 ft above sea level. I'm an older single guy and don't use much power and have no plans to go bigger but I do want to make sure i have enough juice to run my pellet stove.

I'd like to go with an Outback inverter and will need good batteries to keep my pellet stove running though the cold wnter nights here.

So the big questions:

What is a good yet, inexpensve OB inverter ? FX 2024E ? I am guessing all of OB inverters are pure sine wave and my pellet stove most likely needs clean juice.

How many batteries will I need ? I am leaning towards the Trojan L-16's and I've read they are quite good. But I am open to all suggestions.

Is 600 watts enough solar array to keep my batteries charged to run through the night? And is 24v going to be OK? I am hoping I can get by on four L-16's but may be dreaming ?
littlehawk

My RE system: OB MPPT 80

Re: Need help setting up my solar power

Postby klundquist on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:48 am

Welcome to the OutBack forum.

Here is an article that should help answer some of your questions https://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/design-installation/power-systems-grid-vacation-cabins?v=print

Does your pellet stove list average power consumption? The 4.1A will not be sustainable for your PV system so hopefully that is just the inrush current required to start the blower or igniter. I have a pellet stove that consumes about 1.25A on average when the blower is on high. If you have a Kill-A-Watt meter you can plug your stove in to find out the peak and average power consumption. It is also great for finding out the power consumption of your other 120V loads.

My stove is designed for 2000 sqft so hopefully yours does not take as much power. If you assume 1 Amp lets look at the numbers:
1A x 120Volts = 120W x 24hours = 2,880Watt Hours per day. If your 600W PV array performed at full rated power with 100% efficiency it would take 4.8 hours to harvest the stove load. You're not going to get that in the winter. Either the stove needs to consume less power, run less than 24hrs/day, or you will need more PV and/or a backup generator. 600sqft seems awfully small for a wood pellet stove so it might be overkill anyway.

Since you are in North America when looking for an OutBack Inverter avoid the "E" model such as the FX2024E that you mentioned below. "E" stands for export/Euro and it is designed for 230V/50Hz power. The older FX2524T or newer FXR2524A are both 120V/60Hz output which is all you should need unless you have a 120/240V well or septic pump.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby littlehawk on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks for the help. I will pick up a mid-grade Kill O Watt meter today.

My pellet stove is the Enviro Mini rated for 600-1200 sf and yes I'm guessing that the only listing they give me ( the 4.1 max) is when the ignitor is fired up. Killometer will tell me whats up. ;)

Thanks about clarification on OB inverters. I definitely want pure sine wave for the pellet stove elctronics and I've also read where the small HOnda EU generators are clean waves so I can either run the genny directly to the pellet stove or run DC into my batteries. I'm leaning towards a quiet Honda EU 2000is.

Last year bought a Williams high altitude propane heater with blower motor and the thing is junk ! It did not keep the cabin warm and I was dishing out 350 bucks per month in propane bills. And the thing makes all sorts of noises, creaks and metal distortion sounds. The blower motor screams bloody murder and does a poor job of pushing out air. It's poorly built IMO and I paid 1000 bucks ( with blo motor) for it and another 600 to have it installed/inspected. I ordered the high altitude jet and even had it checked out to make sure they installed the proper one at the factory. I also had the tech check vacuum levels and gas inlet pressures. My kitchen oven can throw off more heat that this thing. TOTAL JUNK ! Here's the thing http://www.gasheaterstore.com/Williams- ... p_513.html

Thanks for the link, I'll look at it now.
littlehawk

Postby littlehawk on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 am

Excellent link ! It covers the basics very nicely for me and I like the AGS set up.

BTW I live here in the cabin in Colorado full time, froze my butt off last year and don't want to go that route again.I've lived in the cabin for many years and always heated with my wood stove but as I get older, starting and maintaining fires is getting to me...esp.waking up at 2 am, fire is out and the cabin is 45 degrees (not to mention whether I cut and split the wood or buy it per cord...$160-200 for fast burning Pine ! no hardwoods here). And add to the fact I have a handicapped propane furnance that doesn't do diddley ! A thousand dollar bill hanging off a wall. ](*,)
littlehawk

Postby littlehawk on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:52 am

rookie question:

if I buy a 48 v OB inverter is it ONLY usable for a 48v wired battery pack?

and if yes, can I assume cirrectly that whatever inverter I buy whether it be 12, 24 36, 48 or 72 I am committed to running that specific voltage in my system.
littlehawk

Postby Mike Curran on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am

Yes to both questions.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby littlehawk on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:17 pm

gracias amigo. that means : hey cool, right on bro.
littlehawk

Postby littlehawk on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:37 pm

OK, heres what I have going on (I am in Colorado at 9000 feet up) :
I also have one 65 watt panel that is not wired in as of yet. I know I have a mixed bag here.

I have a piece of junk Xantrax 1800 HUB inverter ( which was given to me) and I want to replace with an Outback inverter

And I have four NAPA 12v automative ( non deep cycle) batteries wired in parallel to keep things at 12v. More junk, I know.

Current consumption:

Approx 3 amps to run my laptop ( I use it maybe 5 hours per day and battery is always chargesd
Two 60 watt LED bulb ( approx 1 amp) but will vary from winter to summer.

Stove is propane and non electric and fridge is run off propane. Williams non electric furance runs on propane.

So ! I donlt use much power at all. :)

BUT ! I want to run this pellet stove I got ( Enviro MIni ) and I want to get an OB inverter and some deep cycle batteries (I'm leaning towards Trojan 6v or 12v as I've had good luck with them in the past)

Enviro manual list amp draw at 4.1 amps/500 watts. It will most likely run throught the night for 8 hours or so and a few hours in daytime.

Questions:

1. Is my solar array adequete as is ??or should I re-wire it..or add more ?

2. What would be a good battery bank set-up and at what voltage should I set it up for ?

3. I assume the answer to question #2 will tell me what volt inverter to purchase.

And yes, I understand more is better..especially for Jan and Feb and cold temps but I'd like to get some advice on dialing this all in.
littlehawk

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 am

littlehawk wrote:OK, heres what I have going on (I am in Colorado at 9000 feet up) :
I also have one 65 watt panel that is not wired in as of yet. I know I have a mixed bag here.

I have a piece of junk Xantrax 1800 HUB inverter ( which was given to me) and I want to replace with an Outback inverter

And I have four NAPA 12v automative ( non deep cycle) batteries wired in parallel to keep things at 12v. More junk, I know.

Current consumption:

Approx 3 amps to run my laptop ( I use it maybe 5 hours per day and battery is always chargesd
Two 60 watt LED bulb ( approx 1 amp) but will vary from winter to summer.

Stove is propane and non electric and fridge is run off propane. Williams non electric furance runs on propane.

So ! I donlt use much power at all. :)

BUT ! I want to run this pellet stove I got ( Enviro MIni ) and I want to get an OB inverter and some deep cycle batteries (I'm leaning towards Trojan 6v or 12v as I've had good luck with them in the past)

Enviro manual list amp draw at 4.1 amps/500 watts. It will most likely run throught the night for 8 hours or so and a few hours in daytime.

Questions:

1. Is my solar array adequete as is ??or should I re-wire it..or add more ?

2. What would be a good battery bank set-up and at what voltage should I set it up for ?

3. I assume the answer to question #2 will tell me what volt inverter to purchase.

And yes, I understand more is better..especially for Jan and Feb and cold temps but I'd like to get some advice on dialing this all in.

Everything depends on your loads. That pellet stove probably doesn't draw 500W constantly - you need to get a better handle on its energy use, possibly using a Kill-a-watt meter. Lacking that we can estimate: Say it runs 12 hours/day and averages a constant 100 watt load. That would be 1200 watthours/day. Your existing panel setup supplies 450W* (see PS below), and maybe you get an average of 8 hours full sun per day (I'm guessing here), that comes to 3600 watthours/day which would be adequate. However, I can't emphasize enough the need to plug some real world data into these calcs, otherwise we're just guessing.

My battery bank is 24 volts but if I had it to do over again I'd try to set it up for 48 volts, that gives you more room to add more PV to your FM80's input. Future proof.

*PS Based on your 77 volt input to your FM80, sounds like you have your panels wired in series. If so, that means the lower rated panels (4.75A) possibly are going to limit the current throughput and thus limit the total output to less than 450 watts. If you set them up as 2 parallel strings of 2 in series (the two 8.7A panels in series, paralleled with the two 4.75A panels also wired in series), you'll get more total current, albeit at a lower voltage, but then get closer to your panels' rated power. The lower voltage may not work well with a 48 volt system, your PV input needs to be higher than your battery voltage for best results. So 24 volts may be a good compromise, especially if you don't foresee a lot of future additional loads and you're not adding any more PV.

More questions than answers, I know :smile:

FWIW. - Mike
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:

Postby littlehawk on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks Mike ! Kill a watt meter is on my list.
littlehawk

Postby littlehawk on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:50 am

I purchased a Kilowatt meter. Recorded readings as follows:

Lap top uses 20-30 watts
A few LEDs average total approx 10 watts (on and off in evenings..more off than on)
Enviro Pellet stove : 60 watts, auger running, no blower on
110-130w, auger running, blower on low or medium setting
150-170, auger running, blower motor on high.

I did not... nor do I know if there is anyway to read how much watts my Xantrax 1800 Powerhub inverter uses.

Total power usage. APPROX 100w at lowest and 210w at highest.
Round up everything to 275w overall.

I just hooked up my two brand new 6 volt Trojan batteries, L-16 RE-B 370ah. They are wired for 12 volts using 2 gage wire. 2 gage wire also runs into my inverters with a 100 amp breaker spliced in. I checked new batts for voltage and specific gravity, All good, just a tad shy of voltage at 12.5 volts

Trojan recommends charging new batteries so I set my FM80 to equalize for an hour at 15.5v It's a clear sunny day and the system can not bring them up to 15.5. They have been trying all day without luck. I shut the inverter off and have no other loads on. Here's a typical read-out for the day from my FM 80.

Full sun:
in 57.6 ...... 5.5 a
out 14.5 ...... 19.4
0.280kw ..... 0.7 kwh
aux: on ..... MPPT EQ

another reading an hour later (full sun)

in 67.2 ..... 3.0a
out 14.2 ..... 12.4
.188 kw .... 0.9kwh

QUESTION 1: I have approx 57 volts and approx 20 amps coming from my array yet my FM is only letting 14.5 to batteries. Why ? Not enought push from my solar array ? FM setting/s incorrect ?

QUESTION 2: I want to get rid on the xantrax 1800 powerhub and go with a smaller pure wave inverter. Would the Morning star 300w (600 surge) be enough to supply my usage ? I am leaning towards that brand and model because it's pure sign wave, costs about $250 and can be hard wired into my AC panel ( not many small inverters can be hardwired and I have no plans fo further expansion of my system). Thoughts ?

QUESTION 3: Is it possible the Xantax 1800 inverter is someone sucking up too much power ? and/or somehow limiting the juice to my batteries?
littlehawk

Postby Mike Curran on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Wow, you really don't have a lot of loads!

littlehawk wrote:Full sun:
in 57.6 ...... 5.5 a
out 14.5 ...... 19.4
0.280kw ..... 0.7 kwh
aux: on ..... MPPT EQ

another reading an hour later (full sun)

in 67.2 ..... 3.0a
out 14.2 ..... 12.4
.188 kw .... 0.9kwh

QUESTION 1: I have approx 57 volts and approx 20 amps coming from my array yet my FM is only letting 14.5 to batteries. WHY ?

QUESTION 2: I want to get rid on the xantrax 1800 powerhub and go with a smaller pure wave inverter. Would the Morning star 300w (600 surge) be enough to supply my usage ? I am leaning towards that brand and model because it's pure sign wave, costs about $250 and can be hard wired into my AC panel ( not many small inverters can be hardwired and I have no plans fo further expansion of my system). Thoughts ?

Q1: With only 450 watts of PV (or maybe 515 if you've wired in that 65W panel), theoretical (always an optimistic figure :smile: )max current from your array would be 515W÷57volts (if this is this the correct array voltage) = 8.9amps. Don't know how/where you're seeing 20amps from your array.

Let's take your real world numbers for a spin:

Full sun array output is 57.6V × 5.5A = 317 Watts. Sounds reasonable for your array's rated power considering panel age, ambient temperature (assuming it's warm there), and other losses. FYI, my system only performs at rated capacity under ideal conditions: bright, noonday sun and sub-freezing temps.
FM80 output 14.5V × 19.4A = 281 Watts. That's very close to the 317 watts input and the difference is easily explained by CC efficiency losses.

You can do the math yourself for your "hour later" data but the comparison between watts in and out is similar. I can't explain the power drop from one hour to the next if solar input is the same, my bet is that it isn't.

Q2: Sorry, I don't know anything about those inverters so can't comment on whether they will work for you.

My best guess as to why you have trouble reaching 15.5 volts to equalize is because your array isn't large enough to supply the needed current. Rolls Battery recommends 5-10% of C20 rate for equalizing and you're at the bottom end of that range (370 × 5% = 18.5A). Don't know what Trojan recommends... in any case you might try continuing the equalization process for another day or two. Eventually the voltage should come up.

But it looks like my answer to your question, "Is my array adequate?" may have been wrong :oops: . Not too late to add panels, I hope. Your FM80 can certainly accept more, up to double the wattage you have now. Or a small generator to supplement your PV when equalizing.

Sorry if I've misled you. - Mike
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

Westinghouse Solar:

Postby littlehawk on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks Mike. From what I've read and seen if array voltage is high it appears that the incoming amps get increased approx by four (due to FM design ?) Correct me if I'm wrong.

i.e If you look at my readings, my incoming amps was 5.5 but the FM then shows it out-going at 19.4a..so it's an increase by four. I've watch a few videos and notice other peoples FM readings and that seemed the norm for their readings. There was a guy who had 15 amps incoming yet it produced 62 amps outgoing..and I saw the same with other folks as well. Again, maybe I'm wrong ...but is this a possibilty that this type pf amp increase is incorpated in the OB design ? Dunno.

I agree with you. It has be that I just dont have enough push to get my batteries up to 15v or higher. I was hoping maybe there was some setting in my FM 80 that was limiting it but I went through all th settings and found nothing of the sort. I ended up firing up my old Honda generator and running my battery charger and zapped the batteries at 15v for about an hour. They got to bubble up and the SG and volt readings were spot on. I called it a day.

As you mentioned earlier I could re-wire my solar panels (into 2 strings) which would bump down volts but push up the amps. As they are now in series (yes its maximizing voltage but it's also using my lowest amperage off the lowest panel and dragging things down. I have two 150 watt 20 volt panels rated at 7+ amps and if I parallel them up I'd increase amps tp approx 14a or so. And again if that 14amps comes inot the FM and it increase it by 4 that would generate about 55 amps, a large increase from what I'm now getting. Hmm. Anyway, I'm going to re-wire the panels ( as you recommended) and see what the numbers look like. And if that still doesn't do it, I'll have no other choice but to scoop up a few more panels. Hopefully I'll find the sweet spot and get this dialed in.

QUESTION: Are my two 6v Trojan L16 370 amp batteries (if they are fully charged) going to be enough to run my 200-300 watt overall electrical demands for approx 12 hours per day?
littlehawk

Postby Mike Curran on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:00 pm

In vs. out amps on the FM80 isn't a direct ratio, it depends on in vs. out volts as well. The only thing that's constant is power in (watts) = power out (watts), less efficiency losses in the FM80. In your case, since input voltage is roughly 4 times output voltage, output current is roughly 4 times input current. But someone with a different array voltage, say 100 volts, and a different system voltage, say 48 volts, would have a different ratio between in and out current - around 1:2. But enough electrical theory.

Here's a link to a supplier (that I've used) website tool for sizing batteries and PV: https://www.altestore.com/blog/2016/09/ ... er-system/. There's a nice tool on this site that allows you to plug in your loads, available sun hours, etc. They will give you much more authoritative advice than I, being grid-tied and without relevant experience, can give. There are other sites out there as well. I just Googled "match battery to loads for offgrid systems". And maybe an off-gridder on this forum can answer with their firsthand experience. I'm bailing, but only because I don't want to lead you too far astray.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

Westinghouse Solar:

Postby sparksalot on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:46 am

Any modifications to rearrange Amps or Volts will NOT change the Watts...no free lunch. :wink:

Up the Watts and NOW you are doing something. :smile:
sparksalot
OutBack Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 am

Sparks - He's got 4.75A panels wired in series with 8.9A panels. They're all rated for 17-24 volt output so putting them in parallel should increase output current, with the same voltage output. Are you sure the lower rated current panels aren't limiting the string output? - Mike

http://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

Westinghouse Solar:

Postby sparksalot on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 am

Mike Curran wrote:Sparks - He's got 4.75A panels wired in series with 8.9A panels. Are you sure the lower rated current panels aren't limiting the string output? - Mike

http://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/

I may of been too generic in my statement.

My statement was speaking of electrical theory and makes assumption that all good string practices are followed.

Watts do the work, any combination of volts and amps are simply the vehicle to get there.
sparksalot
OutBack Guru

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 am

No dispute there but we're talking about this guy's particular case.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

Westinghouse Solar:

Postby sparksalot on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:08 am

Gotcha, Thx.
sparksalot
OutBack Guru

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Good that you pointed that out, though. These long posts aren't exactly a joy to read and my prose isn't thrilling, so it's easy to miss the details :grin:
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

Westinghouse Solar:

Postby sparksalot on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:47 pm

QUESTION: Are my two 6v Trojan L16 370 amp batteries (if they are fully charged) going to be enough to run my 200-300 watt overall electrical demands for approx 12 hours per day?

Mike's suggestion to run the calculator he link should illustrate what will work. :smile:

Your Full batteries can do the job, the fly in the ointment is, Can your panels put back into the batteries fully what power was removed? And do this even with shorter days and sometimes being a cloudy or overcast sky?
sparksalot
OutBack Guru

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby littlehawk on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:32 pm

I apprreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

Conclusion: Time for more panels. ;)
littlehawk

Postby InterlightTechnology on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:27 am

Hi all,

I really don't have any kind of knowledge about a current topic but your conversation seems very interesting and wants to be a part of this conversation.

Good going guys. Keep it up.
InterlightTechnology

Return to OutBack