Advanced systems that can store solar electricity for emergency and 24/7 use, and “zero out” grid usage, are the future of green technology upgrades for commercial and residential customers
ARLINGTON, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--OutBack Power Technologies, Inc., a designer and manufacturer of advanced power electronics for renewable energy, backup power and mobile applications, will showcase its newest Grid/Hybrid photovoltaic (PV) systems at the NECA Show, September 27 to 30 in Chicago. With its award-winning Radian family of inverters, advanced energy storage technology, AC-coupling upgrade solution, and complete UL-1741 rated systems, OutBack Power delivers next-generation solar for residential, commercial and municipal users, and provides solar upgrade opportunities for electrical contractors, allowing them to get involved in this growing industry without the hassle of installing new solar panels on customer rooftops.
Solar-equipped homes in the U.S. equal greater than 8,000 megawatts of installed solar electric capacity. This installed market presents a promising upgrade opportunity for Grid/Hybrid technology and is a great point of entry into the solar business for electricians.
Electrical contractors have great upgrade opportunity since nearly all of the more than 300,000 residential solar installations and the vast majority of commercial ones in the U.S. today are simple grid-tied systems, which means they can save users money when the sun’s shining—and that’s it. Users still must rely on grid electricity at night. And during an outage, they are without power just like everyone else, as many owners of solar-equipped homes on the East Coast discovered after Superstorm Sandy, which left literally millions of watts “up on the roof” and unusable by the affected residents below. By adding energy storage to these systems, solar users are able to store the surplus energy they create for times when energy prices are at their peak, when the sun is down, or in the event of a power outage.
“Energy insecurity plus changes in utility and government incentive policies means that smart, hybrid systems with energy storage capabilities is a long-term, fast-growth area,” said Harvey Wilkinson, general manager at OutBack Power. “Solar-equipped homes in the U.S. equal greater than 8,000 megawatts of installed solar electric capacity. This installed market presents a promising upgrade opportunity for Grid/Hybrid technology and is a great point of entry into the solar business for electricians.”
As the leader in off-grid systems around the globe, OutBack Power is an expert in PV/solar power conversion systems that go far beyond grid-tied systems and deliver clean, reliable electricity 24/7. This proven technology is behind OutBack’s AC-coupling package, which adds smart-grid and electricity storage capabilities to any PV/solar electric system without requiring solar panel work.
“As a business, it is exactly in the ‘sweet spot’ of electrical contractors,” said Mark Cerasuolo, director of marketing and training. “The electrician upgrades the existing solar electric system with a second, smarter inverter/charger and a battery bank for energy storage. All the work is done near the electrical panel, integrating the AC-coupling upgrade into the existing system. OutBack is the only company with a UL-1741-compliant, end-to-end solution, including power conversion components, batteries and storage rack, from a single brand, which makes for easier system design and technical support. OutBack Power’s AC-coupling systems make it easy for electricians to add solar to their business and provide greater, long-term value for their customers.”
The power behind solar for contractors
OutBack Power products and systems are preferred by “fault-intolerant” users around the globe because of their industry-leading reliability, durability and proven performance. Backed by world-class support and an acclaimed, NABCEP accredited Certificate Training Program, the electrical contractor community can enter the solar market with confidence with the OutBack Power brand. Some of the benefits OutBack Power offers include:
- Easier to operate and maintain – OutBack Power’s OPTICS-RE monitoring and control application allows installers to remotely monitor system operation, performance and output, reducing service calls and system downtime.
- UL-1741 end-to-end – OutBack Power offers the only single-brand solution in a complete renewable system with energy storage that meets critical UL-1741 requirements.
- Superior energy-storage technology and programs – OutBack Power’s batteries are essentially maintenance-free, using advanced absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology with valve-release lead-acid (VRLA) design. High-density chemistry delivers extra-long shelf and service life, up to 80 percent greater than the conventional batteries used in other PV/solar systems. OutBack’s OnSite Direct battery program guarantees contractors fresh batteries shipped right to their jobsites when they need them.
- Solar upgrade opportunity – Electrical contractors can install value-adding energy storage capability to any solar/PV system with innovative OutBack FlexCoupled technology without getting on the roof.
- Solar expansion opportunity – Contractors who want to offer complete PV/solar services to their customers can find everything they need in power conversion, control and storage technology from OutBack Power, and count on one brand that is the industry leader in service and support.
OutBack Power will be showing examples of AC-coupled and Grid/Hybrid energy systems with advanced battery storage for solar installation and grid-tied upgrade opportunities.
To view these systems and learn more about OutBack Power’s Grid/Hybrid technology, visit the company during NECA at booth 1943. You can also visit www.outbackpower.com.
About OutBack Power Technologies
OutBack Power Technologies, a member of The Alpha Group, is the leading designer and manufacturer of advanced power electronics for renewable energy, back-up power and mobile applications. With an emphasis on product performance, OutBack has established itself as the product of choice in harsh environmental conditions and applications where product reliability is paramount. Whether the application is village micro-grids in Africa, rural electrification projects in Latin America, remote off-grid cabins in Alaska, or a suburban home in Southern California, OutBack Power Technologies has set the bar for delivering advanced power conversion electronics. For more information, please visit www.outbackpower.com.